Saturday, September 22, 2018

Character Interview with Beth Steury


Maggie from
Before I Knew You by Beth Steury
Happy Saturday to all our friends at Stitches Thru Time! Today we have a special guest, Maggie from Beth Steury's Before I Knew You. That's right folks, we are going to do something adventurous and venture into the life and mind of a teenage girl. ;)

Before we get into the interview, here's a little about the book.

After a series of bad choices rocked his world, seventeen-year-old Preston charts a new course as far from his ladies’ man ways as he can get. He distances himself from the dating scene and avoids his party-loving friends—the things that once dominated his life. Then he meets Maggie, the new girl in town, the first day of their junior year. She’s beautiful on the inside and out, knows nothing of his past, and he can’t get her out of his mind. When a disastrous first date leaves her skeptical about the guys at Madison High, Maggie slows down her pursuit of a guy to trust with her white-wedding-dress future. She wants a boyfriend, sure, but he’d have to be nothing like the jerk who forced her first kiss. Someone more like Preston, who’s been nothing but sweet and helpful, not to mention, easy on the eyes. But he is so out of her league. Can Maggie afford to let her guard down around the charming Preston? Will Preston’s past jeopardize his chances with the one girl who could anchor his future?

Sounds great, right? Now let's get on to the interview.

Welcome, Maggie! Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?


Well, it’s a good thing we’re chatting now rather than six months ago when I first came to Madison. I’ve got a much better attitude about being transplanted here, during my sophomore year of high school, than I did in the beginning. I’m still not thrilled about the situation, but I’m trying to make the best of it. If only I could shed my new-girl-status.

What caused your recent move to Madison High?

My parents got the bright idea to open a clinic, in Pine Crossing, Indiana, of all places, and drug me and my brother along. Five hundred miles from my friends, my school, my church—from everything I’d known my whole life. Madison is huge compared to my tiny high school where I knew everyone.

What is the most important thing in your life?

I made a decision to follow Christ when I was just a little girl. It was important to me then and it still is today, to live a life that pleases Him. I made a commitment to save sex for marriage so that someday I could wear a white wedding dress, and for the right reason. I hate it sooooo much that so many people think waiting doesn’t matter. That makes me sad.

If you could go back 3 or 4 years, what advice would you give yourself?

I’m so tired of being shy, awkward, afraid of new things, . . . and alone. I wish I’d pushed myself, or met someone like Chelsea, a couple of years ago. Because now I’m afraid that shy and awkward and alone is all I know how to be. But thankfully, Chelsea’s helping me to be more like her and less like me. Which is a good thing. I think.


What makes you think Preston is out of your league?

He’s so popular and charming and so incredibly hot! He could have any girl he wanted, so why would he ever be interested in me? I’m pretty sure he flirts with all the girls. And may have dated like half the class already, according to how this girl Cindy described him on the first day of school. Anyway, I can’t imagine why he doesn’t have a girlfriend, but Chelsea insists he doesn’t. She thinks I should “go after him” which is so not me.


Tell us what your goals are for the next few years.

Doing well in school has always been very important to me. And of course, then I’ll go to college, to major in what, I’m not sure at this point. But I want a boyfriend! Ugh . . . did I say that out loud? Well, it’s true. I was sure that this year it would be my turn to be in an amazing relationship with an awesome guy. An awesome Christian guy who would respect my white-wedding-dress future. But . . . I guess not.


What is your greatest struggle in life at this point?

Thanks to Logan Wallace and the worst first date ever, that pursuit for the perfect guy is completely on hold. If all the guys at Madison are like him, this will definitely not be the year of the boyfriend. I made a huge mistake going out with a guy I knew nothing about. You can be sure, I’ll never do that again. So, no boyfriend for Maggie. Unless . . . by some miracle, Preston is interested in me. Because I’m positive he is nothing like Logan. But it’s ridiculous to even entertain the thought of us as a couple. Get on with your life sans boyfriend, Maggie!

Any parting remarks?

Wish me luck this year, will you? And pray that I survive National Honor Society. Talk about a new scenario where I feel soooo out of place! Why oh why, did I let my parents talk me into joining???

Thanks so much for sharing with us today, Maggie! Readers, be sure to leave a comment for Maggie to get your name in the drawing to win a copy of Before I Knew You!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed meeting Maggie. Thank you for a wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, it's been nice to meet you. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to Maggie with God's help. I look forward to reading your entire story in Before I Knew You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! That's the kind of encouragement Maggie needs. Hope you enjoy the story.

      Delete