Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The Enduring Shawl

Nobody knows when the first shawl was worn. Likely there have been shawl-type wraps since Adam and Eve upgraded from fig leaves.

Almost every culture around the world can boast a unique shawl pattern of some type. Woven or knitted, sturdy or sheer, sheep's wool or finest silk, the simple shawl is anything but.

The name may change with the culture. Don't call a Scot's tartan a shawl ... but it is. Some other names are mantle, fichu, wrap, tippet, and stole. They may be square, rectangular, circular, triangular, oval, crescent, or even asymmetrical in shape. They may be plain and drab or ornate and colorful. The possibilities are endless.

One thing that is universal ... women have been wearing them for centuries.

The popularity of shawls is on the uptick today. Ravelry, an online knitting community, boasts somewhere around 30,000 different shawl patterns. That's not a misprint. Thirty thousand! Something this basic, this timeless, this useful ... deserves a little respect.

As a writer of historical fiction, shawls wind up in all my stories. They've intrigued me for many years. In fact, they've intrigued me so much that I started making them. A lot of them. It's become one of my passions. Now, to celebrate the release of my books, I give away one of my signature shawls to one lucky subscriber to my newsletter.

The Backcountry Brides Collection releases on May 1st. My story in the collection, Her Redcoat, is set at Fort Michilimackinac at the Straits of Mackinac where Lakes Michigan and Huron meet. Today, this area is known for its beautiful lilacs. To celebrate the release, I'm giving away Northern Lilacs, my 100% handspun, handknit wool shawl. The drawing will be on May 31st. To enter, subscribe to my newsletter. That's it!



Pegg Thomas lives on a hobby farm in Northern Michigan with Michael, her husband of *mumble* years. A life-long history geek, she writes “History with a Touch of Humor.” When not working or writing, Pegg can be found in her barn, her garden, her kitchen, or sitting at her spinning wheel creating yarn to turn into her signature wool shawls.

http://www.peggthomas.com
Follow her on Facebook

15 comments:

  1. Pegg, thank you for a beautiful post and very interesting facts about shawl! Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawls are useful and warm to be use for elegance or a nursing home patient. Thank you for sharing. Your novella sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawls are very versatile. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Cool facts about shawls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about shawls and their role in history. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed this post. Did you know that George and Martha Washington gave Polly Copper a shawl as a thank you present? Polly was an Oneida woman who came to help feed the starving soldiers at Valley Forge. The Oneida people still have that shawl to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. I'll have to look it up and read more. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to reading your book while wearing a special shawl with an awesome shawl pin..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I had a typo so deleted it.

      I enjoyed reading your interesting post on shawls. Your shawls are beautiful Pegg!
      Congratulations on your novella, Her Redcoat!
      Blessings, Tina

      Delete