Saturday, September 21, 2019

An Interview with Irwin Terrell of Love’s Allegiance




The history of conscientious objectors in the United States reaches back to the Revolutionary War. At that time, exemptions varied by state. During the Civil War conscientious objection was not part of the draft law for the federal side, but individuals could provide a substitute or pay $300 to hire one. In the Confederacy there were few options: moving to northern states, hiding in the mountains, joining the army but refusing to use a weapon, or being imprisoned. World War I saw little improvement to the handing of COs. In fact, when imprisoned they were often subjected to short rations, solitary confinement, and physical abuse.

Fortunately, World War II provided a better solution. Registrants were sent a questionnaire that included a checkoff to indicate opposition to military service because of religious training or belief. Anyone who marked the box then received a more detailed form on which they had to explain the basis for their objection. The Civilian Public Service provided COs an alternative to military service, and from 1941 to 1947 nearly 12,000 draftees served in this manner.

Meet Irwin Terrell, the hero in Love’s Allegiance who is a member of one of the Peace Churches, and as such, a conscientious objector.

LM: How did your family and neighbors react to your decision to apply for conscientious objector status?

Terrell: My dad is very supportive of my decision. We discussed my choice at length, and even though he doesn’t fully understand my reasoning or agree with it, he said that each man is responsible for his own life. He was adamant that I pray about my decision, which of course, I did. I feel that God led me to make the choice, however I don’t believe He leads everyone in that direction. Unfortunately, my friends are not so understanding, and I've been shunned by those who are still here. Townspeople with family serving overseas are also angry at me. I am alternate avoided and scorned. I have also received veiled threats. 

LM: Tell us about where your assignment during the war.

Terrell: I was assigned through the Civilian Public Service to serve at a mental health hospital. In addition to chores around the property such as maintenance and landscaping, I am responsible for attending to the men. I work six days a week and help the patients with self-care as well as occupation and physical therapy. We are hoping to help as many as possible to become self-sufficient.

LM: What are some of the other opportunities for COs to serve, and why didn’t you volunteer for one of them?

Terrell: The U.S. Forest and U.S. Park Services offered positions to help with forest and park maintenance. Even though I’m used to working outside on the farm, I wanted to do something different. There are also a number of experiments being performed in medical schools around the U.S. on men in an effort of discover cures for diseases such as typhus, infectious hepatitis, and malaria because our troops are exposed to these terrible ailments.

LM: Do you feel that taking up arms is wrong across the board or just for you?

Terrell:  Like my dad, I feel that each man must make the decision that is right for him. Unfortunately, we live in a sinful world and sometimes war becomes the only answer to overcoming evil.

LM: What is your favorite part of your job?

Terrell: I’m responsible for the gardens at the hospital. I have a cadre of patients who I work with. Seeing the joy as well as the understanding on their faces as they learn how to plant, maintain, and harvest the crops is gratifying. It is a step toward independence for them.

LM: What are your plans for after the war?

Terrell: My work at the hospital has spurred an interest in continuing to work in the mental health field. I’m not sure where God will lead me, but I believe it will be to minister to others in some way.

LM: I understand there is some possible romance in your life too. What can you tell us about that?

Terrell: You’re talking about Rochelle. My father thinks I have waited too long to marry, so he…uh…decided to give me some help. He contacted a distant cousin of his and they agreed to have her come work for him so we could explore a possible marriage. You’ll have to read how things turn out!

About Love’s Allegiance:
With most U.S. boys fighting for Uncle Sam in far off countries, Rochelle Addams has given up hope for a wedding in her future. Then she receives an intriguing offer from a distant relative to consider a marriage of convenience.

Conscientious objector Irwin Terrell is looking forward to his assignment at Shady Hills Mental hospital to minister to the less fortunate in lieu of bearing arms. At the arrival of the potential bride his father has selected for him, Irwin’s well-ordered life is turned upside down. And after being left at the altar two years ago, he has no interest in risking romance again.

Despite his best efforts to remain aloof to Rochelle, Irwin is drawn to the enigmatic and beautiful young woman, but will time run out before his wounded heart can find room for her?

Inspired by the biblical love story of Rebekkah and Isaac, Love’s Allegiance explores the struggles and sacrifices of those whose beliefs were at odds with a world at war.

Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/2ZXb9JQ


About Linda Shenton Matchett: Linda is an author, speaker, and history geek. A native of Baltimore, Maryland, she was born a stone’s throw from Fort McHenry (of Star Spangled Banner fame) and has lived in historic places all her life. Linda is a member of ACFW, RWA, and Sisters in Crime. She is a volunteer docent and archivist at the Wright Museum of WWII. Find out more about Linda and her books at http://www.LindaShentonMatchett.com. Pick up a free book when you sign up for her newsletter.

1 comment:

  1. Nice interview. The book sounds interesting. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete