Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Why I Write Historical Fiction


I just finished writing my first contemporary book. It’s a Christmas novella and women’s fiction instead of my typical romance. But even in this contemporary setting, touches of the historical sneak in. One of the main characters is a minimalist who rejects many modern conveniences by choice. So she lives in two worlds—that of today and that of a hundred years ago.


In writing this book, I realized why I like to both read and write historical fiction. It’s not for the famous people or events that define a particular era—the kind of stuff you get out of history books. No, historical fiction is valuable for giving us an understanding of the culture of the time. The people’s livelihoods, their religion, their dreams, their relationships. How they were different from people of today. How we of the twenty-first century are still like people of the past. Because there is a common denominator that transcends time.
The churches of history can define the strength of the people’s faith. The church buildings of the past were either humble or magnificent, but they were much more crowded than today. Church played a bigger part of people’s lives in the Victorian era, for example. It was more than a place to feed the spirit. It was a gathering place for people with moral standing (whether genuine or not). The local saloon served as the social center for those without morals, but everyone knew the difference. They had a clearer view of right and wrong. I'm not sure they do anymore.

Every generation seems to want to slant history to fit its particular politics, which is to be expected. However, some take this to extremes and try to erase history, or those parts of it they deem bad. Confederate leaders’ statues are being taken down, never mind that these men played an enormous part in history. Books are being banned, like Huckleberry Finn, much like Catcher in the Rye was years ago. I suppose it’s only a matter of time until the Bible is banned here, as it is in many countries now.
Removing any part of history is hiding the truth, and a way to deceive people.
So I thank the Lord for those who write historical fiction. Lest we forget.

Why, or why not, do you like historical fiction? Comment to win this week's Giveaway: BEFORE I KNEW YOU BY BETH STEURY

Here is my working cover of the Christmas novella to be released next month.

With her husband away on a job until Christmas, newly-wed Amanda moves to the house they’ve inherited from his grandmother in order to prepare it for sale. In the isolated woods of western South Carolina, her nearest neighbor is an elderly woman who holds onto a past way of life, even taking in wash to earn money for Christmas. As the two women work together to renovate the house, Amanda comes to realize the washwoman isn’t the eccentric kook she first thought, but a woman of wisdom and grace who helps Amanda face the demons of her  past and find release from her present insecurities.  

6 comments:

  1. Historical fiction always teaches me something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Elaine. I enjoy historical fiction and your books. The Washwoman's Christmas sounds like another great one to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like historical fiction because it tells you about the past. I didn’t like the subject at school lol I could never remember all the dates and what happened when!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love historical fiction because I truly like history and I enjoy learning new facts.

    ReplyDelete