Friday, April 6, 2018

Harvesting Fruit from the Family Tree

No-no-no ... not the crazy kind of fruit! (Although my family tree has plenty of that.) The helpful kind. The kind that leads you to use an ancestor in your story. 

Pictured here are Ellen and John Lewis, my great-great-grandparents. The photo was taken in 1908 on their 40th wedding anniversary and is still in our family 110 years later.

John was a Civil War vet who mustered into the Union forces as part of the Michigan 7th Cavalry (Yup! Custer's bunch.) on March 2, 1865. He was 18 years old. 

The Michigan 7th Cavalry was engaged a few times after John mustered in, including:
Five Fork, VA, March 30 - April 1, 1865
Duck Pond Mills, VA, April 4, 1865
Sailor's Creek, VA, April 6, 1865
Appomattox Court House, VA, April 8-9, 1865
Even though we don't have any direct evidence that he was or wasn't involved in any of these engagements.

However, he was transferred west at the close of the Civil War to serve during the Plains Indian Wars. He survived, returned to Michigan, and sired the crop of ancestors that leads down to me.

My current work in progress involves a Civil War vet who I've decided knew my great-great-grandfather. How fun is that?!




Pegg Thomas lives on a hobby farm in Northern Michigan with Michael, her husband of *mumble* years. A life-long history geek, she writes “History with a Touch of Humor.” When not working or writing, Pegg can be found in her barn, her garden, her kitchen, or sitting at her spinning wheel creating yarn to turn into her signature wool shawls.
Follow her on Facebook or visit her at PeggThomas.com.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I wish I knew how to spin and create yarn! :) I wish we could "time jump" and go into the past to sample the life for our books. I want a barn. So, can you see I'm jealous? Ha. I was born in Michigan and my family had a farm in Cheboygan, but when my Grandparents sold the farm, I was young and didn't have the money to buy it. :( Ohhh, the stories that farm house could tell, if it could talk. I know some of the stories, but so many have been forgotten by those who lived during the early years. Not many were written down. But my grandfather often told stories at the table after supper. I weave them into some of my writing. One of my stories was published in "Michigan Out of Doors" years ago. It was a true story about Grandpa and I getting lost in the woods, while hunting. Well, I knew the way out. But I let him lead me out of the woods. I kept quiet ... it was my secret, but it was one of his last accomplishments before passing away. I miss those days of storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too far from Cheboygan! It's a beautiful area of the state. I had a storytelling granddad too, the grandson of the man in the photograph. Pretty sure he taught me more about storytelling than any conference I've ever attended. :)

      Delete
  3. I love hearing stories of my ancestors and know some have been forgotten through the years. Civil War is one of my favorite historical fiction eras to read. Thank you for this great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Civil War era stories are some of my favorites as well.

      Delete
  4. This is awesome that you know the facts about your greats...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the work was done by one uncle and one second-cousin, but they faithfully passed the information down. Priceless!

      Delete