Have you found the Love of Your Life? What a blessing when and if that happens! I wanted to share a few thoughts I have about the Love of My Life, and how we've kept that love alive and flaming through the years.
(BTW: I love Kenny Rogers singing that song: Through the Years. Kinda sounds like our life. )
- Patience. This is a hard one for sure. Who doesn't run out of patience when you're busy with your own projects? Who doesn't sigh overhearing the same complaint or story again...and again? But somehow we get through it each time.
- Hope. Hope for better times. Hope that special things will happen. Hope that tomorrow will be easier. Hope that all things work out for the best. And the list goes on... But hope glimmers in those dark nights.
- Endurance. Yeah, those times. When hope seems lost. When plans don't work out. When disappointments come. And sorrow too. When God seems far away. We hang in there, hold on, and grit our teeth in determination that we will not be defeated, and if we are in one thing, then there's always tomorrow, another day, another project...
- Carefulness. In holding our tongue. In being sure to listen to the other. In not overstepping our boundaries. In remembering. So much more that help keep us sure of the other.
- Love. It doesn't just happen. Feelings and emotions aren't always love. It takes work and thought. Seeing beyond the speaking word and acting and believing in that. Hearing behind the words spoken and knowing that your someone is needing special attention. Giving an unexpected, small or inexpensive, gift--just because. Speaking words of appreciation: "Did I tell you, you look wonderful tonight?" "What a great job you did tonight!" "I thought you handled that problem well."
Patience. Hope. Endurance. Carefulness. Love. There are probably many more, but these are five that have served us well through the years.
What ways have worked in keeping your love aflame?