And so a new word was born.
My family has been committing mondegreens for years without realizing it! When my daughter was very young, she thought the Beach Boys were singing about a “little loose tooth” instead of the more well known Little Deuce Coupe. She also thought Patty Page was crooning about some guy called “OK John” instead of Old Cape Cod. Bethany could never figure out why—since the man was just ok—everyone was sure to fall in love with OK John.
- “I led the pigeons to the flag” (I pledge allegiance to the flag)
- “Gladly, the cross-eyed bear “(from the hymn, Gladly the Cross I Bear)
- “There’s a bathroom on the right” (from the Creedence Clearwater Revival song, Bad Moon Rising—“there’s a bad moon on the rise”)
- “Youth In Asia” for euthanasia
- “With all my infections I do thee endow” (from wedding vow—with all my affection)
- bow and arrow transplant (for bone marrow transplant)