Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Ready, Setting, Go!


peck-bros-dry-goods-and-hardware

During my return visit to St. Charles, Missouri, this time a research trip, my steps slow and my thoughts racing, I let the history-steeped business district carry me back to 1821. Back to a time when Saint Charles became Missouri’s capitol city, and remained so until 1826.

The First Capitol Building, an esteemed Missouri State Historic Site, stands picturesque at 200 South Main Street. Owned by the Peck Brothers, the upstairs housed the Missouri legislature. In my imagination’s ear, I could hear the legislators’ heated debates on slavery. Just as clearly, I imagined Governor Alexander McNair pacing in his office down the hall and heard the bartering going on below in Peck’s Dry Goods and Hardware store.

Many historic decisions were made on the roof of the Missouri’s first State Capitol Building, including . . . 
·         The Solemn Public Act, upon which Missouri’s admission to the Union rested, was passed.                          ·         November 6, 1821, Governor McNair informed the Legislature that Missouri had been admitted to 
           the Federal Union.
·         The State Banking Law of Missouri was voted into effect.
·         The General Assembly fought over the decision to move the Capitol to Jefferson City.

I had found the building for Heinrich’s Dry Goods and Grocery in The Quilted Heart Novellas. 


In a nod to Saint Charles’ historical charm and its strategic role in Missouri’s statehood and place in history during the Civil War, I placed Heinrich’s Dry Goods store in the Capitol Building, more specifically, where Ruluff and Charles Peck resided and ran their Peck Bros. Dry Good & Hardware store.


May 17-18, 2014, I return to St. Charles for the Lewis and Clark Heritage Days, where I'll be at the First Capitol Building on Main Street for a Meet & Greet from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. If you're in the area, I'd love to see you!

Mona Hodgson is the author of nearly 40 books, historical novels for adults and children's books, including her popular Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek Series, The Quilted Heart novellas, and Prairie Song, Book 1 in the Hearts Seeking Home. Her children's books include bestseller, Bedtime in the Southwest, six desert and princess Zonderkidz I Can Read books, Real Girls of the Bible: A 31-Day Devotional, and her six I Wonderbooks. www.monahodgson.com

5 comments:

  1. Too bad I won't be in Missouri during that time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: Would've been so fun to see you there, Amber.

      Delete
  2. I stayed in St. Charles a long, long time ago. Interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia. Good to hear from you. I'd been in St Charles in 1999 and went back in 2012. Love the historical district!

      Delete
  3. I was in a bookstore yesterday and saw your book. Pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete