Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Keeping My Sanity

Remember the children's game, Hungry Hippo? 


Is life a bowl full of cherries?



Is it funnier than a barrel of monkeys?



Do you ever feel you're swimming in a goldfish bowl?


Have you ever felt overwhelmed with life? Have you ever bitten off way more than you can chew? Have you lost interest in all that's going on with your life, or you job or whatever? 

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. -- Confucius

So have I! As an author, occasionally, I've filled my slate with way too many "yeses" or "should-dos" to fill with any kind of enthusiasm. The thing is, it took several times of experiencing this to finally realize that I can't do everything. Sometimes, I have to take a breath and relax. So I've made a short list today. Here are a few things I've learned and try to practice.

  1. Accept what I'm called to do. Write.
  2. Realize that it takes work. All of it. Brainstorming, some planning, research, writing, editing, marketing. But it doesn't mean 24 hours a day, 365 days in a year. 
  3. I can do my best, and that's all I can do. Yes, I have to keep learning, keep working, moving on, but I have limited resources, limited time, limited ability. 
  4. As far as marketing goes, I can't do every course, accept every offer to promote my books, give away all my books. I have to pick and choose, wisely and with prayer. If I try to do it all, I become the greedy hippo who wants it all.
  5. Never give up hope or the joy of the writing itself. When I'm tired, I need to rest. When I'm discouraged, I need to focus on getting that spontaneous joy back, when I'm overwhelmed, I need to pull back from that which is draining my happiness and re-assess my priorities.
God's Word instructs me to1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - Rejoice evermore.

To: Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring [it] to pass.  Psalms 37:5 

And to followPhilippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.


I can't change the direction of the wind,
but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
-- Jimmy Dean


Follow God's direction, adjust your attitude and habits.
You'll be better off for it.

Don't be like the HUNGRY HIPPO! 
Smile.
Keep Your Sanity!

Happy Days!



About Carole:

Besides being a member and active participant of many writing groups, Carole Brown enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense and tough topics into her books, along with a touch of romance and whimsy, and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas.

She and her husband reside in SE Ohio but have ministered and counseled nationally and internationally. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons?


Personal blog: http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CaroleBrown.author
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/browncarole212
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/sunnywrtr/boards/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5237997-carole-brown
Google+:    https://plus.google.com/u/0/113068871986311965415/posts

Check out her books here

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughts! My kids love Hungry Hippos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! And such great advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ladies. I enjoyed writing it, since I've experienced it! Lol

      Delete