Monday, July 29, 2019

When You're Thrown a Curve Ball

Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. 
James 1:2-4 (HCSB)

I grew up surrounded by baseball. I have two older brothers and they were either playing on a team, practicing in our back yard, watching it on TV, collecting baseball cards, or talking about it. When we played together at home, they usually teamed up against me. It took me a long while to figure out why I never won. :)

Through the years I remember hearing about a pitcher throwing a curve ball and how it made it difficult for the guy at bat to hit. It's hard to anticipate where that ball is going to go.

Have you ever felt that way in life? That you've been thrown a curve ball, and you aren't sure how to respond or where you go from there? Just last week I found myself in that situation. It had been a rough month physically as I ended up in the hospital for several days and kept experiencing health issues that the doctors puzzled over. Long story short, we think we finally have come up with the answer. Apparently, I am now a diabetic.

I still am on a roller coaster as we try to regulate diet, exercise, and medication. I have times when I feel almost back to normal and then times where I hit a real low and feel pretty lousy.

My pastor is doing a sermon series on suffering right now. While to most, what I'm going through wouldn't be considered suffering, but honestly there are times that I really struggle. When my physical body is exhausted, dizzy, and I have difficulty thinking/concentrating, I wonder if I will ever get 'back to normal'. I pray that even when I'm in the midst of the fog, that God will use this disease to bring about spiritual growth and maturity in me. Above all, I desire for others to see Him through me.

What curve balls have you been thrown in life? How do you deal with them?



Jodie Wolfe creates novels where hope and quirky meet. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA) and has been a semi-finalist and finalist in various writing contests. A former columnist for Home School Enrichment magazine, her articles can be found online at: Crosswalk, Christian Devotions, and Heirloom Audio. She's a contributor and co-founder of Stitches Thru Time blog. When not writing she enjoys spending time with her husband in Pennsylvania, reading, walking, and being a Grammie. Learn more at www.jodiewolfe.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment