Monday, June 25, 2018

Is Your Security Rooted in God?

Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young... Psalm 84:3
How do you like the photo of my little friends on the left? Their mama and daddy built this nest in the spring anticipating their arrival. The nest was intricately constructed with beautiful flowers, moss, grass, and twigs. It was in a precarious place atop my porch light, but apparently, the birds feel safe because they return every spring to make a new home. Yet when the front door opens, the parents flee, shrieking in terror that “something” almost got them. 
The birds start singing every morning around 3:00 a.m. when they imagine the first hint of daylight. I say imagine because it’s still pretty dark to me. 
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:3
One of the first things I realize upon awakening is the blessing of another day. I envy the birds' ability to sing this to the world each morning. Often before I’m even fully awake, I began to talk to God about the day ahead. I know it's His strength that will see me through the challenges that day brings. This has been especially true since the death of my daughter almost two years ago. 
Sometimes humans dwell in an apparent safe place. We’ve created our perfect nest lined with beautiful things, content until something threatens our earthly trappings. While we shriek about superficial terror, we often hit the snooze button when it comes to spiritual threats. This is never more apparent than in our daily routine. 
Which would be more distressing?
  • If my electricity were off for 24 hours or my access to God denied for 24 hours?
  • If I lost my car keys or lost my Bible?
  • If I were denied a promotion or a family member refused salvation?
  • If the baseball game I attended went to extra innings or Sunday morning church service ran late?
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1
Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to keep my priorities straight, my focus on You, my life patterned after your Son, and my faith strengthened through your Word. 

Do you have a favorite Bible verse that helps keep you focused on God's will in your life? Or maybe you have one that keeps your priorities in perspective when life throws you a curve ball? I'd love to hear them. Share in the comments below. 


Laura Hodges Poole is a Christian writer with dozens of articles, devotions, and short stories in publication. Her books are available on Amazon. Laura is the 2016 ACWC Badge of Honor winner, a 2014 ACFW Genesis semi-finalist, and a 2012 RWA Emily finalist. As an editor, she enjoys mentoring and helping other writers polish their work.  Her passion is encouraging others in their Christian walk through her blog, "A Word of Encouragement." When she’s not writing, you might find her hiking, playing the piano, or being crafty. A mother of two, Laura lives in South Carolina with her husband and son.

Her newest release, Return to Walhalla, is available on Amazon. 



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great way to begin a Monday. This is one of my favorite verses.
    "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love that verse, too, Connie. God has so many ways to encourage us! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful uplighting post this Monday miorning. Couple of of my favorite verses/promises that keeps me going are:
    "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." I Peter 5:7 and "Fear thou not; For I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteouness." Isaiah 41:10 (KJV)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. Glad you felt uplifted! I love the picture these verses paint. It's soothing to meditate on God strengthening us through our fears and despair. Thanks for sharing them.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the post!
    I have many go to verses...one of them

    Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

    —Isaiah 12:2-3

    ReplyDelete