Friday, January 19, 2018

The Mountain Between Us

 By Charles Martin

You guys. This book. It has all the feels and all the fuzzies flowing off every page.

First of all, we meet two fine people who hire a small plane (and pilot) to get them out of Salt Lake City just ahead of a mammoth snow storm. The plane crashes. One of them breaks a leg. The other one does everything possible to save them both.

While it’s an incredible survival story (albeit fiction), we also learn about the wife and the fiancĂ© who don’t know that these two people even stepped onto the small aircraft which filed no flight plan before taking off. They are utterly lost in the wilderness. And as the situation becomes worse every day, we follow two amazing individuals and what their lives were like pre-plane crash.

The emotional current throughout is infectious, engaging, addictive. I lost sleep over this story and it was my second time reading it! Yes, you’ll have to suspend belief just a bit…but the powerful emotional journey is second to none! 

Obviously, this book was made into a movie (Yep - I used the Movie cover). I have not seen the movie. The reviews from readers who I know loved this book: mixed. But one thing I find wonderful about the whole thing: the movie has introduced a slew of new readers to an amazing author who is unapologetically Christian, though he's published in both the Christian and general markets. His stories reflect his faith, though not always in an overt manner, and his skill as a writer is unparalleled. 

I am addicted to reading this author. Charles Martin. His stories always resonate deeply and are finely crafted from start to finish. I can easily recommend anything I’ve read by him and I think I’ve only missed one.

This book has been out awhile, but if you've not read it, I think you'll love it! And if you have read it, try something else by the same author. His stories get better with every book.

Do you re-read books? I don't very often, but some books are just worth re-visiting. Leave us a comment for this week's giveaway. 




7 comments:

  1. Can you believe I haven’t read any of his books yet? I’ve heard so much about them and I have read some buzz about the movie and the author’s eloquent and gracious response to it. Need to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of his books. This one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Charles Martin's books yet but keep hearing they are good. Next month I'll read his book, Long Way Gone for book club. I don't re-read many books but do sometimes when a book I've already read is our book club selection. That happens this month with The Lady and the Lionheart by Joanne Bischof. It's such a wonderful book so I am enjoying re-reading it as much or more than I did the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cherish a good book so my very favorites I will revisit from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do re-read some books but I haven't read any books written by Charles Martin. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have Mr. Martin's books in the church library. I have met him in person and btw, he is as nice looking in person as he is on the cover of one of his books.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of Charles Martin books, but I've heard a lot about this one and after reading this review, I'd definitely read it.
    Do you re-read books? Not many. But some like "Redeeming Love" I'll re-read.

    ReplyDelete