|Architect George Bergstrom|
- 410,000 cubic tons of concrete were used, made from 700,000 tons of sand dredged from the Potomac River.
- The site on which it is built was part of Robert E. Lee’s farm.
- There are 17.5 miles of corridors, and the central plaza is five acres in size.
- It has twice as much office space as the Empire State Building, and the Capitol could fit into just one of the Pentagon’s five sides
- There are 284 bathrooms, twice as many needed because segregation was still in effect. However, FDR signed an executive order prohibiting segregation, and the facility became the only integrated building in Virginia.
- In order to conserve steel (in short supply because of the war), there are no elevators.