Wednesday, October 25, 2017

DIY Fall Wreaths

When autumn leaves come falling down…I go to the craft store.

The other day as I browsed Hobby Lobby for some picture stands, I was stopped in my tracks by the most beautiful orange burlap ribbon. Half price. How could I resist? I had no idea what I’d do with it, but surely something would hit me.


Since I’ve used the same fall wreath for the last fourteen years, I pulled out the first possibility from that nebulous part of my brain where all my undeveloped creative thoughts reside. A new wreath. After some google research, I found three fall wreaths I like because they’re cheap and easy, and I can add a pretty orange burlap bow.

Trouble is, I can’t make up my mind. Which do you think would go well with my bow? I’ve included the links to the directions in case you’d like to make your own.

This monogrammed style appeals to me because it obviously has the perfect place for my bow. But I don’t like the letter. I’d rather attach something representing the season like a scarecrow or a horn of plenty or an owl. I love owls on anything.



This one I love for its simplicity. How easy would it be? If I had access to some grape vines, I could make my own wreath frame. But it looks a little unbalanced. I seek balance in everything—in decorating, in food, in writing, in people. Is it just me, or does it seem there are more unbalanced people out there these days, leaning to extremes one way or the other? And I prefer books that keep the plot and characterization balanced. Overall, I like this style of wreath, though, and my orange burlap ribbon would give it the pop of color it needs. Apparently, I seek balance in color too.


Talk about balance, this style has it. Maybe too much. What I like about it is the use of leaves. You can buy floral leaves, of course, but why not gather your own? You can make them permanent by soaking them in liquid glycerin and drying them. Instead of stringing them up like this design, I’d attach them with hot glue in an artless way and stick an owl right in the middle. I’d add the bow and hanger, both made out of my ribbon, at the top.


So, help me out here. Which style do you prefer, Wreath 1, Wreath 2, or Wreath 3?

Comment and you’ll be entered in the drawing for Sherri Wilson Johnson's new release, Grafted into Deceit, to be announced Oct 30.

8 comments:

  1. I like wreath # 2. The flower is off-center hi that gives it more appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MH, you make a good point, plus it doesn't take many flowers.

      Delete
  2. Personally I would go with #2. I like more simple and brightness. Simple with the flowers and add the beautiful orange bow it'll be beautiful on your door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like simplicity too, Marilyn. Good to hear from you today.

      Delete
  3. I would choose #2 but I would like #1 IF the monogram was a solid color. I love the colors of Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie. I love almost everything about fall. Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  4. I like two but I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. Orange ribbon and the balance is a tiny bt off. You’ve given me ideas for my own wreath. Church is having a Bazaar on Saturday. I need to do another one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love Church bazaars, Paula. Yes, wreaths would be a big hit.

    ReplyDelete