Monday, August 28, 2017

The Masks We Wear

“Do not judge, so that you won’t be judged. For with the judgment you use, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. - Matthew 7:1-2 (HCSB)
  


I recently went to lunch with a friend of mine and we talked about the different masks that women put on each day. Even Christian women. For some reason we feel the need to portray that we have things all together. That we can do it all.

We may share our outer layer with close friends and family, but I think most women don't go beyond that. Perhaps we are afraid of being judged, of being found not worthy, or a myriad of other excuses. It makes me think, 'what would it take for women to be real with one another'? It would involve breaking through the facade, the mask, that we keep firmly in place so that others don't see the 'real' us.

I'm so thankful that our Heavenly Father sees through all my layers. He knows all my struggles and insecurities and still loves me. I'm precious to Him. I pray that you find peace in knowing that Jesus loves you dearly.

Get rid of the mask and allow God to work in your life.




Jodie Wolfe creates novels where hope and quirky meet. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA) and has been a semi-finalist and finalist in various writing contests. A former columnist for Home School Enrichment magazine, her articles can be found online at: Crosswalk, Christian Devotions, and Live the Adventure Letter. She's a contributor for Putting on the New and Stitches Thru Time blogs. When not writing she enjoys spending time with her husband in Pennsylvania, reading, walking, and being a Grammie. Learn more at www.jodiewolfe.com.



Today's giveaway is from Sherry Kyle. Here's what she has to say:

I'd like to offer a copy of my latest novel, Road to Harmony, to one of your readers for some promotion. It is a historical romance set in 1907 in Harmony Valley, CA. You can read about the book here: http://www.sherrykyle.com/books/road-to-harmony/
 

 

16 comments:

  1. Jodie, a lovely devotional thought to start the week. Thankful God can take off the masks and make each one a new creation. Our pastor just mentioned yesterday in his sermon about individuals can come to church with a smile but hurting deeply inside so we must minister to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. To be that kind of neighbor and friend who wears no mask can be frightening and exhausting...but something we are called to do though it's quite difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great thought provoking post. We may try to be "real" with people but only God sees the "real" us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a guilty party. I often hide my problems and heartaches from those around me but I do know that my Father knows all! Thanks for a thought provoking devotional.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's often hard to be 'real' with people because we worry that we'll be judged.

      Delete
  5. I am guilty of this also! Why do we feel so strongly we need to hide? Thank you for the humble reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but feel it's part of our sin nature like Adam and Eve trying to hide from God in the Garden of Eden.

      Delete
  6. How true this is! And I'm not sure that I fear being judged, just being hurt by someone not keeping my confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Patty. It takes a lot for me to be able to share with others, and I've had times of being hurt and also having a confidence broken. It makes me more resistant to share, but that isn't always the answer either. :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your great post. It is always such a pleasure to visit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by, Melanie and took time to leave a comment. :)

      Delete
  8. I believe we would all be happier if we accepted ourselves as we are and got rid of our masks.

    ReplyDelete