Thursday, February 9, 2017

Review: Stars Over Sunset Boulevard

Stars Over Sunset Boulevard by Susan Meissner

Nostalgia for the Golden Age of Hollywood just takes over in this novel. I loved every minute of its detailed behind-the-scenes look at the big movie studios in the 1930-40s. The story follows two women who become friends as they chase their dreams. And then they must choose between friendship and dreams, and find a way to live with the losses suffered along the way.

There’s something special about a friendship story, and there’s something wonderful about Hollywood’s Golden Age. Put together, you have a novel that’s difficult to put down, but one you don’t ever want to finish.

Now I must admit there is something else fueling my warm fuzzy feelings for this story. Have you seen the movie La La Land? Sigh. Some people don’t get it, and some don’t like it. Everybody else was bowled over by it and remembers certain scenes from it with a sigh the likes of which only Scarlett O’Hara could rival. Yep. I’m in the third category. But stay with me. The reason I loved La La Land so much is because it is throwing back to Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Do you see where I’m going here? Stars Over Sunset Blvd depicts everything La La Land is throwing back to. The singing, the dancing, the dresses, the costumes! Even Scarlett O’Hara…the novel takes place on the lot where they are filming Gone With The Wind!

So maybe this review is a bit sappy. But let’s face it, the movies from the Golden Age were all a bit sappy. And sappy, in my opinion, is what we need a little bit more of these days. But understand this! Stars Over Sunset . . . is not just a light read. It deals with deep down fears and lies and secrets and how these things can bubble up over time. It's richly layered. 

Give this novel a try, I'm pretty sure you won't be sorry.

Did you see La La Land? Did you get it, not get it, hate it, or love it? Do you have a favorite “Old Hollywood” movie? Leave a comment to get your name in the drawing for To Gain a Valentine by Tanya Eavenson! Winner announced in the Weekly Windup on February 13th. Check out all of our great prizes on the Prizes Galore page.



6 comments:

  1. I love the old movies from the Golden Age and have probably at least two dozen of them in our DVD collection. Among my favorites would be the Thin Man series of movies with Myrna Loy and William Powell. Enjoyed the review! Thanks! dixiedobie at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our favorite movies are The African Queen Father Goose, and Man's Favorite Sport. All old. But very good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this book and loved it. Have read nearly everything Susan Meisner had written. My favorite is SECRETS OF A CHARMED LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that one too! Her next one comes out March 14 - A Bridge Across the Ocean.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen La La Land but I Absolutely love old movies and I have always enjoyed the musicals that were done. I especially liked Doris Day and some of her earlier films were musicals. Thanks for sharing this review.
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Connie
    cps1950 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Rebecca director Alfred Hitchcock and from the book by Daphne DuMaurier.
    paulams49 (AT)sbcglobal(DOT)net

    ReplyDelete