Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Colonial Cocoa Recipes of the Revolution

Did you know the founding fathers had a version of Hot Chocolate? I discovered this while researching for Dawn of Liberty, my short story collection about Samuel Adams and the Declaration of Independence. I've featured 12 of the recipes I discovered in a cookbook I'm calling Taste of History, but I thought it would be fun to share one of them with ya'll today.

Colonial Cocoa (Drink)
Sam Adams says: Winters are cold in Boston, and there's nothing like sipping a cup of homemade cocoa with my children while curled up before the hearth. I invite you to try it on the next chilly evening.

Yield: 1 Breakfast Cup

Ingredients:
2 t of the prepared cocoa
1 t vanilla
1 T Sugar
cold milk
boiling milk
boiling water

Instructions:
Boil about 1c. milk in a small pot, taking special care not to scorch it. Once the milk is hot,
remove from heat.
Put the cocoa sugar and vanilla into a breakfast-cup.
Pour over it sufficient cold milk to make it into a smooth paste
Add equal quantities of boiling milk and boiling water
Stir all well together.

If you enjoyed this recipe, you can get all 12 as a pre-order bonus when you purchase Dawn of Liberty. BUT, you have less than 10 days to get your free copy!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0N34KE

2 comments:

  1. Hot chocolate is one of my favorite drinks. Thanks for sharing!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Connie! I hope you enjoy the recipe.

    ReplyDelete