Now that schools have been dismissed for the summer break, families are packing up their coolers, loading up the SUV's to the max and heading to the nearest beach.
After my children went to college, I discovered I could go to the beach in September and stay longer for the same amount of money I'd paid for the summer months. The weather is beautiful and the crowds are much smaller…the perfect formula.
With that in mind, I booked a place in 2008 for three weeks. My dear friend, Lori, went with me for this dream vacation. Our children and husbands came to visit on the weekends, but the weekdays were all ours.
We read books, walked on the beach, watched dolphins, read more books, watched more dolphins, and ate whenever and whatever we wanted. Did I mention we watched dolphins frolicking in the ocean?
And then there was the day we still had our jammies on at two o'clock in the afternoon, sitting on the deck…watching dolphins.
In honor of my twenty-seven year friendship with Lori, this post is dedicated to her.
My list of "You Might Be A Dolphin Lover If…"
1. You are as excited about the last dolphin you see as you were the first…after three weeks of vacation.
|A collage of pictures from our beach trip that hangs in my home office|
3. Your husband tells you he's finally found a fish you get excited about.
4. You choose Sea World over Disney World as a vacation destination.
5. You watch reruns of the classic TV show "Flipper."
6. You slow your pace or increase your pace of walking on the beach…that depends on the dolphins.
7. You pay money to go for a dolphin watching excursion, to ride a rubber raft on the open sea.
8.Your idea of a fun filled week at the beach is not complete if you don't relax and enjoy the beauty and gracefulness of at least one dolphin swimming in the sea.
Whatever you do this summer, enjoy it with family and friends. The important thing is to make memories with those you love.
You can find Cindy over at her blog My Little Corner, http://www.cindyobrien78.blogspot.com