Saturday, July 20, 2019

Author Interview with Heather Norman Smith




HeatherNorman Smith is a devotional blogger and author of inspirational fiction. Her goal is to use the written word to entertain and encourage, while illuminating the redemptive love of God. She also enjoys writing songs and singing about Jesus.


Heather is proud to be a life-long North Carolinian and aims to present the beauty of the Tar Heel State in her writing. Her home is just outside Winston-Salem, NC, where she lives with one husband, two daughters, one son, two cats, and two dogs. Heather loves words and does not enjoy math, except when it comes to counting blessings.



In the spring of 1961, ten-year-old Nate "Weenie" Dooley has a revelation-his father is not a good one.
Inspired by National Geographic, his favorite thing next to the Bible storybook his mother gave him before she died, Nate plans to leave his father and their home in the Smokies to set out on adventure.
When he discovers that his father has left him first, it will take the help of a stray dog, some kind neighbors, a one-man-band, letters from a long-lost-aunt, and a new understanding of God to figure out he isn't really alone.
Will he find that Copper Creek is where he's always belonged? Or will his wanderlust keep him from ever coming back?
In her second novel, Heather Norman Smith demonstrates that love makes a family, and that while fathers may leave, our Heavenly Father is faithful, and He has a plan for all of us. 

Heidi here. Thank you for stopping by to visit with us today, Heather, and congratulations on your newest novel, Where I Was Planted. I read it a few weeks ago and reviewed it here on Thursday. What an amazing and gripping story. Where do your story and character ideas come from?

Thank you! I’m excited to be here!
This book, and my first one, caught me completely by surprise. I don’t remember actually trying to come up with a plot or characters. They were just “there”, and I feel very grateful for that. Although, I’m sure there was some subconscious inspiration at some point.
  
Obviously you are a natural and gifted storyteller, keep writing! What’s your biggest challenge in balancing writing time with your other responsibilities 

I am probably the busiest I’ve ever been in my life right now. And when I don’t get time to write, I feel like part of me is missing. Then I wind up staying up way too late in order to fulfill that need. So, lack of sleep is definitely a challenge.

Ahh, sleep, Never enough. How do your faith and spiritual life play into the picture and affect your storytelling?

Jesus is my purpose, in life and in writing. I enjoy telling stories, but if they didn’t point people to Him in some way, I don’t think I’d have the motivation to finish an entire book.

Well said. Time for a fun question…..You are alone and stranded on a desert island and can have ONE food product and ONE drink, what would they be?

I’ll be somewhat practical and say bread—something I enjoy but also that would be satisfying and I wouldn’t get too tired of eating.
I am addicted to black coffee and Diet Dr. Pepper, so that’s a tough one. For drink, I’ll say coffee. Even if the island were hot, I’d want my coffee.

No chocolate? I don't think I could survive without.....I adore your name. Believe it or not, your name connects with my life…..My father wanted to name me Heather, not Heidi. Obviously he was overruled. And, believe it or not, his given name was Norman. So, every time I come across your name I think of my dear father, whom I miss so very much. 

That’s so cool! And Heidi is a great name, too. Name meanings are very important to me.

What do you consider the greatest moment of your writing/publishing career?

I’m still fairly new to this writing life, but I’d have to say the most special moment was when my dad texted me after he read the first manuscript and told me I was now his favorite author. I know he’s my dad and he has to say things like that, but he’s the most avid reader I know, and just to know he’s proud of me is special.

That is super sweet! Tell us about future books planned..

I have one other completed, yet-to-be-published novel and three in process! So, there will be more coming. I’m just not sure when. I’m actually working on a devotional now that will probably be out before another novel is published.

Heather, thank you for your time today, it was fun! And congratulations again on your newest novel, Where I Was Planted.

Thank you, Heidi!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this great interview. I can’t wait to read Where I Was Planted.

    ReplyDelete