Friday, December 14, 2018

Book Review and Reminiscing About County Fairs

The Blue Ribbon Brides Collection: 9 Historical Women Win More than a Blue Ribbon at the FairThe Blue Ribbon Brides Collection: 9 Historical Women Win More than a Blue Ribbon at the Fair by Cynthia Hickey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another Barbour collection full of engaging characters and fun stories, these all set during a county or state fair. It's hard to pick any favorites out of this bunch, all of them combine a competitive spirit with the life lessons each character needs to learn. I love that each competition is different, from quilting to baking to farm animals to auto racing ... there is something in here for everyone.

Growing up, the county fair was a big deal. A very big deal! My dad sold John Deere farm equipment and the dealership he worked for had a huge outdoor display all week at our county fair. Even before I was old enough to be in 4-H and entering my own baked goods and knitting projects, entering my rabbits or showing my horse, I was hanging out in the John Deere lot, sometimes sleeping in the huge tractor wheel wells when I got tired. And I loved it.

It meant so much to me growing up, that I volunteered as a 4-H leader for more than twenty years. Our son was born shortly after and grew up with the older 4-H kids as he tagged along on our adventures. Soon he took over much of my barn and was showing his own rabbits, sheep, and eventually horses. One week every year we pulled our pop-up camper to the fairgrounds and set up "home" for the week.

Those were precious times, but my growing up and my son's. I wouldn't have traded them for the world. This collection brought back so many good memories! If you've ever participated in a county fair, you should pick up a copy today.

1 comment:

  1. Fair days were fun with 4-h projects. This is one collection I haven't read it. Thank you for sharing, Pegg. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete