Thursday, August 16, 2018

No Less Days


No Less Days
by Amanda Stevens

Really interesting book. And it takes place in Michigan, my home state - so already, this book is a winner for me!

Our protagonist is a regular guy – except he can’t die. How does that affect your daily relationships? What do you tell people you’ve known for 10 years when they age and you don’t?

I found myself speculating . . . hmmm…maybe that’s why this genre is called speculative fiction? Not sure, but anyway, when I put down the book, late at night, because I’d stayed up too late reading, I found myself wondering how you could kill a guy whose blood would automatically heal the body from any wound, illness, accident, or catastrophic event. What if there was an apocalyptic event and everyone died – except that guy?

The cool thing about this book is that it’s written from a Christian worldview, so God is a factor. It’s awesome to imagine God using a mortal who’s been given a seemingly eternal life on earth before he dies. All Christians look forward to eternal life – after they die. So will this guy be like Enoch? Never dies? Or will he just live super long – a Biblically long life – and then die and then begin eternal life?

And that makes you ask the question…what if eternal life were just like our regular lives? Is eternal life in a fallen world something to be desired? Because lots of people seem to think so. 

I loved all the great questions raised by this novel. In fact, I've really only shared with you the questions this book raises. But it's so refreshing to read a book that makes me think! The plot is great and I found this book to be a real page-turner. So many great scenes to read. Interesting turns of the story lead to a satisfying ending with room for something more. And I have heard from Amanda Stevens herself, that she is currently at work on a sequel. This is great news! I hope you'll give this book a try - I think you'll like it!

Tell us some of your pros and cons if you were unable to die. If you leave us a comment, you'll be entered to win our giveaway this month.


Jennifer Fromke writes from North Carolina, where the skies are blue, the tea is sweet (not that she drinks it), and the summers are so hot she writes in the shade of her back porch, literally sweating over each novel she writes. She talks about books ad nauseam and recommends them to everyone she meets, so she started a book review blog for sheer joy: www.shetalksbooks.com 


9 comments:

  1. Hm...I think it would be really hard to see the loved ones age and die...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Eternal Life is like our regular life now, I'll pass. I am so busy right now that when I get to Heaven I want to rest forever.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pros...continue to see changes and enjoy life. Cons...continue to have aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting premise. To continue living while everyone is dying would be a mind game especially knowing there is life everlasting this world. I'm standing on God's Word for a home in heaven where there'll be no pain, tears and years of rejoicing and worshipping with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally loved the book. I don’t read a lot of speculative fiction so wasn’t sure if I’d like it, but absolutely loved the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to reading Amanda's book! Not sure I'd like to live forever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book and I was fascinated by it. I would love to see a sequel! I think I would feel like David felt when all of his loved ones and friends were dying and he continued to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I could handle that. It does sound like a book that would make me think, though, and I do love a book that makes me think about what I believe.

    ReplyDelete