Thursday, July 26, 2018

Revealing Light: A Book Review

I've been an avid reader since I was a young child. The family photo album hold myriad pictures of me each Christmas nestled in a corner reading one of the books I received that year. As a member of CelebrateLit Blogging team, I have the opportunity to review lots of books, many written by authors who are new to me. I've also met authors through Facebook and other social media outlets.

An author I met recently thanks to a Facebook party is Marilyn Turk, who writes historical fiction set in the Civil War and WWII eras (my two favorite time periods). When she asked if I'd be willing to review her novel, Revealing Light, I jumped at the chance. Here is a bit about the book and my review:

Revealing Light: 
Sally Rose McFarlane follows her dream of being a teacher when she accepts a position as a governess in post-Reconstruction, Florida. A misunderstanding of her previous experience in Ohio forces her to keep a secret to retain her job. When she learns about the recent Jim Crow laws, she realizes she also has to hide her bi-racial ancestry.

When Bryce Hernandez, former Pinkerton agent, becomes a law partner to Sally Rose's employer, he and Sally Rose become involved with each other to stop a smuggling operation involving their employer's dishonest business partner.

What will happen when the family Sally Rose works for leans the truth of her work experience and her parents? How will Bryce react when he finds out? And will anyone find her when she's captured by smugglers, or will it be too late?

Purchase Link: www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ1217X

My Review: This is the first book by Marilyn Turk I’ve read, and it won’t be the last. I love historical novels that do more than entertain, and Revealing Light is a well-written exploration of the issues bi-racial individuals had to deal with after the Civil War combined with elements of romance and mystery. Sally Rose is a realistic mixture of strength and insecurity. I’ve been researching the Pinkerton detectives and enjoyed meeting Bryce who is heroic and manly, yet sensitive. The villain is wonderfully creepy. Dialogue and description immersed me into the era. The action and suspense kept me turning pages. Themes of acceptance, God’s love, and forgiveness are woven through the story without being preachy. Highly recommended.

Linda Shenton Matchett is an author, speaker, and history geek. A native of Baltimore, Maryland, she was born a stone's throw from Fort McHenry and has lived in historic places all her life. She is a member of ACFW, RWA, and Sisters in Crime. She is an At-Large Member of for the Sisters in Crime New England Chapter and a committee member for Crimebake Writing Conference. Linda is a volunteer docent at the Wright Museum of WWII and a trustee for her local public library. Visit Linda at www.LindaShentonMatchett.com. Sign up for her monthly newsletter to receive links to free ebook sites, book reviews, historical tidbits, news about Linda's latest releases and more!

2 comments:

  1. Linda, Lovely review of Revealing Light. I've enjoyed reading all of Marilyn Turk's books with the history, suspence, romance and time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new author to me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete