Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Milkweed Pods

Remember playing with milkweed pods as a kid? If you weren’t careful picking them, you’d get that sticky white sap all over your hands. We’d open the pods and release all the fluff into the wind.




When I was doing research for my short story, “Typhoon Prompting” (part of The Hope of Christmas releasing on Friday by Celebrate Lit), I was surprised to learn all that fluff was valuable to make life jackets during World War II. The floss was used as a substitute for kapok, which could no longer be imported from Indonesia.


School children in the Midwest collected pods. Five thousand bags of pods were collected in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. The bags were sent to a pod separation plant in Petosky, Michigan. It took eight hundred pods to fill a bag, and two bags per life vest.

Who knew that stuff could save lives? Now you do.



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your very interesting part, I had no idea that an undesirable could be so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, thank you for this informative blog about the undesirable fluff was used to make life jackets during WWII. I'm looking forward to reading The Hope of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I always loved the soft fluffies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh! Don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I think it just proves how crafty our God is. He has a purpose for everything under heaven, and it’s up to us to discover that purpose. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember playing with these when I visited my grandparents on the farm. Thanks for jogging my memory!

    ReplyDelete