Friday, September 22, 2017

8 Reasons to Fall for Fall

8 Reasons to love Fall, even if you are mourning the loss of Summer.

I don't know about you, but Autumn is my jam. Plus, it's literally a great time to make jam. Eat jam. To jam in your jams. Jenn here, and I have to tell you that this season is what we (I) wait for all year long. If you just aren't feeling it yet, here are some reasons to get excited. (it is, after all now officially fall)


1.        Break in the weather. As a northern girl living in the South, I long for the cool mornings I can sip my coffee on the back porch without breaking a sweat. We need this break, no matter where we live, but especially if we live in the South.
2.         Color. Leaves changing colors is one of the most spectacular feats of nature. God puts on a show every fall and I spend hours staring at the trees in wonder.
3.         Schedule. The lazy days of summer cannot last forever, and fall brings with it new programs, school beginnings, and a generally much fuller calendar. But it’s great to get “back on track” isn’t it?
4.         Hot drinks. Coffee. Hot Cider. Hot chocolate. Wassail. You know that sensation of cupping a steaming mug in your hands, and inhaling the contents? Oh, there’s nothing better early in the morning, or late at night, right?
5.         Crock pot. Not that I never use it in the summer, but there’s something awesome about a pot of chili in the fall. Or simply soup in general. Soup on a cool day is healing, comforting, and just plain good.
6.         Leaves on the ground. More specifically, the crunch of leaves on the sidewalk when you walk through them. It’s a singular sound, and it always means fall. Plus, jumping in leaf piles is a major childhood memory, so, leaves on the ground are my favorite.
7.         Pumpkin bread. Pumpkin cake. Pumpkin spice lattes. Pumpkin soup. Pumpkin everything. First let me say that this is WAY overdone. But if you just pick one and indulge yourself a couple times throughout the season, you won’t be sick of it and your fondness will come back. (But don’t do the pumpkin spice Oreo’s – That’s just wrong).

8.         Scents of the season. I am a sucker for the scents of fall. My favorite being, the scent of burning leaves. This takes me straight back to my childhood, and if I catch a whiff, or see a burning pile of leaves as I’m driving by, I slow the car and roll down the windows, inhaling like a crazy person. Also, hot cider on the stovetop, apple pie, camp fires, and hay rides (you can smell that, can’t you?)


What’s your favorite fall scent?

6 comments:

  1. Favorite fall scent is fall flowers blooming, apples, pumpkins at orchards, hearing the leaves crunch on my morning walks and even hearing them russle in the winds. Fall brings the harvest for farmers with their machinery noise and grain bins being filled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the scent of the leaves and even burning them; but we aren't allowed anymore. Chili and cider, Yes! Like you, Pumpkin spice everything is way overdone! I saw a hotdog recipe yesterday! YUK,! And double YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say I'm in Missouri. We are still in the 90's so I would welcome the change to cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is an amazing season and God knew that after a hot and sometimes dry summer, filled with long days of work and play, we would need cooler days, longer nights and time to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Crisp apples, round pumpkins, beautiful colors. It's time for chili and pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, Jennifer! My favorite autumn scent is wood smoke. The honking of geese in flight is my favorite sound. And don't cringe, but I love pumpkin chili!

    ReplyDelete