Thursday, February 16, 2017

Book Review Of The Persecuted by Angie Brashear

Of The Persecuted


By Angi Brashear






Laila Pennedy awaits death by hanging. For the Rendow Clan rules the Woodlands Region, aiming to slaughter the Faithful. And she deserves to die. But Lars Landre, the man destined to lead the Faithful out of persecution, has other plans hidden behind his rare and mysterious blue eyes. Rescue.

Following the daring escape, Laila seeks the path of a warrior and vows revenge against the Rendow Clan. She embarks on a dangerous journey with Lars, one in which they endeavor to reach the promised safety of a magical village, to train for battle, and to ultimately assure freedom for those with faith in the Maker.

Clashes of weapons and souls. Brutal loss of lives. Unrequited love. How in all the Woodlands will Laila survive?



Angie Brashear has crafted a Christian fantasy in her book Of The Persecuted which I hoped would be similar to the Narnia Chronicles, a series she said had been instrumental in introducing her to Christ. While solidly written, the book just touched on the rich magical settings I had been hoping for. Nevertheless, I found it an interesting tale of evil versus good, set in a magical setting where, for the moment, evil is winning.

There is a sweet on-the-surface romance in the story that, as a romance writer and reader, I wish had been expanded on a bit more. However, that may have been the author’s intent in order to play up the overt spiritual warfare aspect of the book, which she did excellently.

I loved the battle scenes in this book and the descriptions of the magical, spiritual kingdom of Tuveil. I thought the dilemma she places the heroine in after the battle scene was well written and plotted, and she managed to rescue her with a twist I did not see coming. She also portrayed her major and minor villains in a chilling manner that brought them to life for me, so much so that they nearly eclipsed her hero and heroine.  I do so love a really dark villain.

This might be a good book for a Christian reader’s group, as the author included a series of discussion questions at the end of the book, another twist I wasn’t expecting, but a clever one.

The book ended abruptly, even though I knew I was nearing the end, leaving me wondering if there are more tales of Tuveil and the Faithfuls to be told, as the characters’ battles against evil, like our own battles, appear to be never ending.

All in all, this book is a solidly written Christian Fantasy with some unexpected twists.


 Don't forget to leave a comment to get your name in the drawing for  Undiscovered Treasures by Carole Brown! Winner announced in the Weekly Windup on February 27th. Check out all of our great prizes on the Prizes Galore page.

3 comments:

  1. I don't often read fantasy but your review has certainly raised my interest. Thanks for sharing!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't often read fantasy, either but this one sounds good. paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete