Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Go Ahead. Say it. I’m Crazy - Guest Blogger, Linda S. Glaz



I love writing. The thrill I get when a character redefines who he or she is and the way that change weaves into my story is the best rush in life…to me.
But I also love it when one of my clients hears for the first time that a publisher has fallen in love with their novel as much as they have. As much as I did when they first sent it to me.
That’s right, another huge rush.
A couple of my clients asked me how I can do both. How can I write and be an agent at the same time? Easy. I don’t sleep. Seriously, I work about sixty hours a week, but don’t fear, I take plenty of breaks. And I eat. Way too much, actually, but don’t get me started there.
The truth is, I like that I’m also an author. It gives me the opportunity to understand just how my clients feel. When they haven’t heard from a submission, I get it. I realize they are checking the email every day, grabbing the phone before the second ring. Anything to find out if the editor wanted their work or not.
On the other hand, I know better than to pester my agent…I was going to say once a week, but the fact is, I know he will tell me the second he hears back from an editor. I don’t have to ask at all. Because why would he keep that wonderful news from me? He’s as excited as I am.
I’m deeply indebted to two things in this work:
First are the characters who’ve lived in my head for oh, so long, and who now trust me to tell their stories. I’m forever grateful that when I get the details wrong, they pester me until I change them and get it right. There’s nothing like a dozen or so folks rambling around in your head all upset.
Next, I’m forever indebted to the folks who trust me with their stories. I know how hard it is to trust someone with your baby. Again, I know because I’ve put a dozen or so projects in my agent’s hands. And while I trust him implicitly, it hurts each time I have to let go.
A lot of work.
And go ahead, say I’m crazy, but I wouldn’t trade it for thing.
Talk about a dream job. I’ve got it.



I’m a wife and a mother of three. I balance being a child of God while also being older than dirt. Hmmm, almost true. I’ve been blessed to have had an amazing life so far: Air Force meteorologist during Vietnam era, teaching karate, self-defense, and soccer for 25+ years. These great life experiences have given me plenty of grist for my novels. As an agent, I speak at conferences, luncheons, church groups, and teach whenever I get the chance.
 


6 comments:

  1. Wow, Linda, that sounds like a lot to juggle. And I thought I had a lot on my plate!
    Thanks for sharing in our birthday celebration!

    Amber Schamel
    Bringing HIStory to Life
    www.AmberSchamel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda and thank you for this post.

    I don't have an agent yet, but when I do, I hope s(he) is as happy to get good stories into the hands of readers as you are. Passion and professionalism are the mark of a good agent or writer. The Soldier's Homecoming is going on my TBR list. Love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda! I know you are a blessing to many in your role as a writer and as an agent. Thank you for sharing this great post.

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy, Linda! I'll say it--you're crazy. =D Just kidding. ;) I think it's amazing you juggle so much, but God gives everyone their own specific gifts to make a big deal out of Him. Thanks for using yours to their fullest extent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow and I thought I was busy. :-) Great to have an agent's perspective. And I know at least one of your clients and she's loves your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, Thank you for the great work that you do!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete