Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mystery Quilt

Cleaning out a closet a few months ago unearthed a mystery. A beautiful one.

I have no idea where this quilt top came from.

I'm not one to forget handmade heirlooms, but this is a mystery I can't solve. It is made from gorgeous Depression Era fabrics in a Dresden Plate pattern. The plates are appliqued by hand to the squares, then the squares are sewn together by machine. It is a small size, just two blocks wide and five blocks long. Did the mystery quilter plan to make it bigger but something happened?

I suspect this little quilt top came to me via my Dad who would have bought it at a farm auction, likely mixed in with some worthless junk.

I'm thinking about finishing this piece with an old pink cotton sheet as the backing so this long-neglected quilt can be complete.

What do you think - should this be quilted or left as is?

~Susan Mires

Leave a comment to be registered to win a $10 Amazon gift card! 

11 comments:

  1. I inherited 16 squares just like these from my grandmother. All hand sewn by her. I put the squares together and since the squares were hand sewn, I quilted by hand. With two very young children, it took me a year to do. Here is a picture of it: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/345862446355117723/
    Thank you for the post today and for the memories of my grandma. :)
    Campbellamyd At gmail dot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thanks for sharing! It is very similar. And I think you did well to finish the hand quilting within a year.

      Delete
  2. What a treasure and what a great surprise! You definitely need to finish this jewel with the pink backing and then she will be complete.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely quilt it! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see the "quilt it" side is winning. "then she will be complete." Love it!

      Delete
  4. I recently quilted a Sunbonnet Sue top, which my grandmother pieced in the depression. It was a great act of love, as she did not live much longer, after it was completed. I have one other top, that she pieced, to quilt down. I haven't start it yet, as there are some pieces that need to be repaired, prior to quilting and I am not sure how to go about it.

    I think you should quilt it down and use it for a table runner or throw. You could always make it into a wall hanging. Just think of the conversation starter or even better the book that could come from another person finding a quilt and learning the history of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunbonnett Sue is one of my favorites! I recently hand-quilted a simple panel that I'd had for years. In fact, it was in the same closet as this piece.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful find! I would finish it in a heartbeat. And how neat your father purchased it, probably with you in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I could quilt I would but since I don't have a clue as to what to do I say go ahead and finish it.
    The quilt looks to me like a story is waiting to be told. Thanks for entering me in your giveaway.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I do wonder about the story behind it....

      Delete
  7. How lovely! I think you should quilt it!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete