Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Crocheted Puppets for Sunday School

My first experience as a teacher in children's Sunday school didn't go well. I took over for a lady who'd been teaching for about a decade. She tried to encourage me. "They're such sweet children, and there's not much to do at all. You have this lesson book with stories, puzzles, and questions. These children are old enough to read. They're the easiest age to teach." As she went out the door, she added, "They'll have to do a little skit for the Christmas program in about two weeks. They could just sing some carols."

She was right. The children were sweet. They could read, but they couldn't hide their boredom. We finished the lesson in about fifteen minutes. How was I to keep them occupied for the next forty-five?

As I prayed over this dilemma, I had one of those light-bulb moments that I like to think of as God thumping me on the head. Hand puppets of animals giving their commentary on Bible scenes, starting with the Christmas story. Before the next Sunday I'd crocheted a puppet for each child. Here are the sheep and donkey. 

 
I wrote the script so the children didn't have to memorize anything. They just read from under the table. Our pastor read the scripture from the pulpit. Very dramatic. The skit was the highlight of the Christmas program.
 

As time went on, I added other animals to fit other Bible scenes--even a snake. You don't have to guess which part he played.

Do you have any ideas to make Sunday school more interesting for children? Or for adults, for that matter.

These puppets are easy to crochet, and all animals are from the same basic pattern, my own creation. If you'd like the instructions, send me an email at elainehmanders at gmail dot com.

Whether you have ideas to share or not, comments will enter you for some fantastic prizes.






 

11 comments:

  1. I love your puppets, Elaine! Wish I had them for my Sunday school class; I know my four year olds would love them! Since I don't crochet, I will just have to use what I have. Children are wonderful to teach, especially when you engage their creativity and make them active participants in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Britney,

      Thank you for stopping by.

      You're right, learning is easier when the student is engaged. Puppets can be made of anything. Socks or paper bags can be turned into puppets by the children themselves. Bless you for teaching SS. It's one of the most important jobs in the world.

      Delete
  2. Your hand puppets are precious, Elaine! I teach and am a helper in our little ones Sunday school classes and I know their little eyes would light up seeing the puppets. Children's little brains absorb so much and what a delightful way to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Melanie,

      Thanks for commenting and bless you for teaching children Bible truths when they're most teachable. Children are very visual and active, so putting something in their hands always helps.

      Elaine

      Delete
  3. What a cute creative idea. Thank you for sharing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Michele. I'm enjoying all the creative ideas shared by fellow bloggers.

      Delete
  4. I remember being in your class and the puppets that brought lessons to life. Those lessons have stayed with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana, So glad to hear from one of my sweet SS children. If the lessons stayed with you, I couldn't ask for more.

      Bless you, Sweetie

      Delete
  5. I made some puppets when we went on a mission trip to Mexico and used a tape in Spanish for the story. Even back at home, I'm amazed how in this age of video games, kids love puppets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job with the puppets, Elaine. My daughter-in-law loves to crochet, but my ability begins and ends with scarves. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. How well I know that what-are-we-doing-next look. And what a great idea the puppets were. Think I'll mention your idea to our SS teachers. Great post!

    ReplyDelete