Monday, July 23, 2018

Daylily Comforts - A Garden Devotional © by Catherine Castle


 
 
As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you.—Isaiah 66:13 (KJV)

Photo by Catherine Castle (c)
 
As I write this devotion this July I’m looking out my office window at the orange daylilies that had their origins in my mother’s garden. These daylilies, which are now scattered around my yard, my daughter’s yard, my sisters’ yards, and the yards of several friends, have been a constant reminder of my mother wherever I’ve been. They’ve been planted in Texas, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. Maybe a few other states, too, as friends and family who’ve been gifted with the flowers have moved around the USA.

Photo by Catherine Castle (c)
A beautiful orange color, these daylilies have triple layered blooms, and in the 40 years they have been in my gardens they always, always bloom for me around July 4. Except for one year.

On Sunday June 13, 2010, my brother-in-law died suddenly in the night while hospitalized. It was quite a shock to the family as we had been expecting him to be released in the next few days. While helping my sister plan the funeral, the discussion about flowers arose.  I mentioned Mom’s daylilies had started to bloom early. I had noticed buds on the flowers on May 30, and had written it in my garden log, but had not expected them to bloom until July 4, as they always did. Instead, one of the daylily beds was full of blooms in early June. My daisies, which are my sister’s favorite flowers, were also blooming early. My sister said she would love to have some of Mom’s flowers to put around the casket. My brother-in-law was close to my mother, who had gone to her reward many years prior. My sister thought having Mom’s flowers there would be like having her at the funeral.

Since daylily blooms only last one day, on the morning of the viewing and funeral I cut enough daylilies and daisies to fill three vases: one from me, one from my youngest sister, and one from my daughter. After the funeral the grieving family took the vases home. The buds on the daylily stems continued to bloom until they were all spent.

 In the eight years that have followed, Mom’s daylilies have not bloomed in early June. They are back to their normal bloom cycle: buds in late June, blooms bursting onto the scene on July 4.

 To the average person this is just probably just an ordinary story of flowers blooming because of an unusual flowering season. To a gardener who believes in miracles, this event holds the touch of God’s hand in it. For my sister there was something comforting in seeing those lilies surrounding her husband’s casket. And I must also admit I felt my mother’s presence that year when her lilies brought a bit of solace into a mournful time.

 My mother’s daylilies brought our family consolation at a time of sadness, but God’s love brings a comfort that surpasses any our mothers, memories of our mothers, or other loved ones here on earth could ever hope to provide. God walks beside us every day. He holds us in His hands and lifts us up when we are weary. He folds us in His arms when we are brokenhearted. He gently guides us when we need leading. He provides for us when we have needs.

And when we need it most, He sends us reminders of His presence through Daylily Comforts.

What about you? Has God ever given you an unexpected comfort in a time of need?

 

Don’t forget to leave a comment on any post today through July 30 to get your name in the drawing for This Week's Giveaway:  Adela's Prairie Suitor (ebook) by Elaine Manders--A clean, Christian romance novella about a Victorian era, western mail-order bride.
Winner will be announced in the July 31th issue of the Weekly Windup.

 Paperback giveaways are for U.S. residents only.


 


Catherine Castle has been writing all her life. Before beginning her career as a romance writer she worked part-time as a freelance writer. She has over 600 articles and photographs to her credit, under her real name, in the Christian and secular market. Besides writing, Catherine loves traveling with her husband, singing, and attending theatre. In the winter she loves to quilt and has a lot of UFOs (unfinished objects) in her sewing case. In the summer her favorite place to be is in her garden. She’s passionate about gardening and even won a “Best Hillside Garden” award from the local gardening club.

 Her debut inspiration romantic suspense, The Nun and the Narc, from Soul Mate Publishing was an ACFW Genesis Finalist, a 2014 EPIC finalist, and the winner of the 2014 Beverly Hills Book Award and the 2014 RONE Award. Her newest book, a romantic comedy with a touch of drama, entitled A Groom For Mama, is due out September 2017, from Soul Mate Publishing. You can follow her on Twitter @AuthorCCastle, Facebook or through her blog Romance for the Ages.

 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful devotional. I believe your daylilies bloomed early so they were available for the funeral. God is an on time God. Thank you for sharing.
    My orange daylilies are beautiful this year along with a couple other colors I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you my dear Sister. Thanks for sharing this memory.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has comforted me more times than I can count. During breast cancer in 2005, during the deaths of Daddy and then, years later, Mama, through daily events in my life. I am thankful God loves me and has patience with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful devotional! Thank you for sharing! God comforted me numerous times through songs and through his words and through his miracles. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I had a constant fear for my children (four kids under age of ten) One day God spoke to me through the 2 Timothy 1:7 and filled my heart with peace.

    ReplyDelete