Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Captured Bride, A Book Review



I love a story that educates and edifies while entertaining, and I can always count on that when reading one of Michelle Griep's novels. What I also enjoy about her work is her characters all have a unique voice, yet one I can relate to. Her protagonists are interesting, so life-like I wish I could meet them in person. If you have not yet tried one of Michelle's books, don't wait. The Captured Bride is book three of a series, but is easily read as a standalone. Here is my review:

The Captured Bride is an exciting, fast-paced story that contains a wonderful mixture of mystery and romance. The two main characters, Mercy and Elias are complex, realistic, and I loved both of them. Mercy is strong-willed yet struggles with insecurities and guilt. Elias deals with feelings of failure and regret. As much as I love history, I don’t know more than the basics about the colonial days in America, so I greatly enjoyed the information the author weaves throughout the story. There is also an afterward that contains additional interesting historic facts. The author uses all the senses in her descriptions giving me the ability to smell the forests, horses, and campfires; hear the jingle of bridles, bird song, and raging rivers; and feel the rain on my face. The time period is rustic and rugged, and there are some violent scenes, but they are not gory or gratuitous. I was breathless by the end of the book and look forward to reading it again and again.


I received a copy of the book for free from CelebrateLit Publicity, and a positive review was not required. All opinions expressed are my own.

Book Blurb:  Mercy Lytton is a lady like none other. Raised amongst the Mohawks, she straddles two cultures, yet each are united in one cause...to defeat the French. Born with a rare gift of unusually keen eyesight, she is chosen as a scout to accompany a tem of men on a dangerous mission. Yet is it not her life that is threatened. It is her heart. 

Condemned as a traitor, Elias Dubois faces the gallows. At the last minutes, he is offered his freedom if he consents to accompany a stolen shipment of French gold to a nearby fort-but he is the one they stole it from in the first place. It turns out that the real thief is the beguiling woman, Mercy Lytton, for she steals his every waking thought.

Can love survive divided loyalties in a backcountry wilderness?




Linda Shenton Matchett is an author, journalist, and history geek. A native of Baltimore, Maryland, she was born a stone's throw from Fort McHenry and has lived in historic places all her life. She is a member of ACFW, RWA, and Sisters in Crime. Linda serves as a volunteer docent at the Wright Museum of WWII and a trustee of her local public library. She lives in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. To learn more about Linda visit her websiteSign up for her newsletter and receive a free ebook.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely review, Linda. I'll have to add this one to my growing list of TBR books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Linda! I read this book and loved it.

    ReplyDelete