Thursday, May 24, 2018

Together Forever, A Book Review






So many books, so little time. My To Be Read pile continues to grow-paperbacks on my night stand, a wish list on Goodreads, and dozens of ebooks on my Kindle. I try to attack the list chronologically, but I must admit that when a new release comes out written by one of my favorite authors, that book immediately makes its way to the top of the pile. Such is the case with Jody Hedlund’s Together Forever, the second book in her “Orphan Train” series.

Together Forever is a well-written novel that includes a little of everything-history, intrigue, and romance. I was drawn into the story with the first sentence, and finished the book in just a few sittings. I fell in love with Drew whose heart of children, integrity, and faith in God fights with his feelings of guilt and self-doubt. Marianne also struggles with her own gilt which creates a delicious tension between her and Drew. I love historic novels that educate me, and Together Forever did not disappoint. I learned about the orphan trains of the mid-1800s and life in the Old West, which intrigued me enough to do follow up research. Dialogue and description effectively immersed me into the era. This is the second book in the series, and I easily read it without having read the first book. Those who enjoy the Civil War era, the Old West, and historic fiction in general should like this book.

If you’re looking for an enjoyable, educational, and encouraging book for the summer, look no further!

What book on your TBR pile are you looking forward to reading the most?

Book Blurb: Marianne Neumann became a placing agent with the Children’s Aid Society with one goal: to find her lost sister. Her fellow agent, Andrew Brady, is a former schoolteacher with a way with children and a hidden past. As they team up placing orphans in homes in Illinois, they grow ever closer…until a shocking tragedy changes one of their lives forever.


Linda Shenton Matchett is an author, journalist, and history geek. A native of Baltimore, Maryland, she was born a stone's throw from Fort McHenry and has lived in historic places all her life. She is a member of ACFW, RWA, and Sisters in Crime. Linda is a volunteer docent for the Wright Museum of WWII and a trustee for her local public library. Learn more about Linda by visiting her website. Or sign up for her newsletter that includes links to free ebooks, book reviews, historical tidbits, information about new releases, and more!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely review, Linda. I'm going to have to add this to my never ending TBR list. I'm like you, certain books call my name when they are released despite having others in a pile to read or on my kindle. Plus, recieving new books to read and review by certain dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete