Friday, March 16, 2018

My Hope Next Door

by Tammy L. Gray

This romance sucked me in right away. The proverbial preacher’s kid gets mixed up with the bad girl in town. But this almost-cliché is not what it might seem. I love how the author shows the depth of struggle in both characters. The bad-girl who wants to be good, and the good-guy who lost his reputation help each other discover more about the God who created them both, and who continues to draw them each near to Himself.

It’s a beautiful story about second chances and becoming the person God wants us to be. It addresses the difference between caring what others think, and caring for others. It’s about miscommunication, lack of communication, and communicating truth to the ones we care most about.

I love the ins and outs of this budding relationship, the uncovering of secrets from the past, and the handling of guilt. I think everyone can relate to this story on some level – because we’ve all been the bad girl and we’ve all been the goody-two-shoes for at least a moment, if not years at a time. It’s about the wrongs others dish out to us, and forgiveness, whether they are sorry or not. More than anything, it’s about how we love.

Highly recommend! No wonder this title won the Rita award! The author’s style is so pleasing - the story is easy to read, and the characters still linger in my mind. What’s great about that? Well, she wrote another book with some of the same characters! Yay! My Unexpected Hope is the next one.


Do you have a favorite bad-girl character? How about a preacher's kid character? Leave us a comment to be entered to win A Flute in the Willows by Stitches author, Carole Brown.






Jennifer Fromke writes from NC, where she pines for colder temperatures all year long. Northerners by upbringing, she and her husband of 26 years have raised three Southern-ish children. Jennifer reviews books at Shetalksbooks.com and you can download a free short story from her website when you sign up for her newsletter at jenniferfromke.com

6 comments:

  1. Lovely review for MY Hope Next Door. I have several favorite bad girl characters that changed through God's amazing love and second chances that He gives. I enjoy reading stories that show God never gives up on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe we can all see ourselves in every bad girl story. Just a little bit. And the badder the girl character, the better we feel about ourselves - for not being THAT bad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like a winner and I would love to read it. I can't think of a bad girl character right off, but we all need second chances as we go through life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very interesting read that I would enjoy :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my favorite “bad girl” would be Rahab in the Bible. Who would have thought that she could turn things around? Go uses us all whether we realize it or not. Thanks for a terrific interview.
    perrianne(DOT)askew(AT)me(DOT)com
    Perrianne

    ReplyDelete