Thursday, February 8, 2018

Perennials

Perennials 
by Julie Cantrell

This is the story of a girl who lost herself. It's a story about sisters. It's a story about parents. And it's a story about flowers that always come back. I love how Cantrell uses the metaphor of flowers throughout this novel. There is so much to learn from the flowers and there is so much about God's creation that is not only beautiful, but mind-blowing when you realize the object lessons He included in almost everything He made.

The father in this story is full of wisdom, and he likes to share that wisdom with his adult daughters, whether they like it or not. There is love lost, hope lost, and time lost, yet there is an wonderful undercurrent of hope.

For the experienced gardener, there is much detail to love in this novel. For those without a green thumb? You'll still love it. One detail in particular that I must share - the daughter who gets sort of lost runs from the lush land of Mississippi, to the Arizona desert, where almost nothing grows. When she returns to her childhood home, her senses are overwhelmed by everything that is growing everywhere. The scents, the sights, the blooms. I love this dichotomy, and you will love how the author uses the setting as a character.

Do you like to garden? Do you prefer to observe nature from a distance? Leave us a comment to get your name in the drawing for The Healer's Touch by Amber Schamel! Giveaway ends 2/11/18. Winner will be announced in the February 12th edition of the weekly windup.

Jennifer Fromke writes from North Carolina and can be found at jenniferfromke.com or shetalksbook.com

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoy gardening. I have perennials from our family farm in my flowerbeds--making them extra specia.
    This book sounds amazing. Thank you for expressing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t garden but I do enjoy reveling in the beauty of gardens :)

    mindyhoung AT msn DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do pots on the back porch. We have had tomatoes and green peppers. And some flowers, begonias, dahlias, snap dragons and petunias. In the ground I have hens and chicks , some elfin thyme groundcover and rocks in the front flowerbed. We have very rocky ground so a garden is not possible. I love to observe nature up close and from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not good at gardening...but, I have 8 orchid plants which are about to bloom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to garden. Flowers to feed my senses and vegetables to nourish my body! Thanks for sharing Julie's book.

    ReplyDelete