Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Easy Peasy Popcorn Balls! By Shirley Raye Redmond

It’s that time of year when my family clamors for popcorn balls. That’s why in my historical novel, Amanda’s Beau, when the characters in the small New Mexico town of Aztec get together for the annual spelling bee in the fall of the year, I have Rex, the young nephew of my heroine, looking forward to homemade popcorn balls too.

I have a yummy recipe that I discovered decades ago. It doesn’t require any boiling of syrup or slaving away over a hot stove minding a double boiler. These popcorn balls aren’t hard and crunchy either. Made with mini marshmallows, the balls are firm but gooey—like fresh Rice Krispie treats.


So here’s my easy peasy popcorn ball recipe. 

Serve with cold apple cider and enjoy an autumn treat.



  • Place 7 cups of popcorn (already popped) in a large buttered bowl. I use Melaleucca Simply Fit Natural Butter Microwave Popcorn, but any variety would do.
  • Melt 3 cups of mini marshmallows and 2 Tbsp of butter in the microwave on low in a microwave safe dish. Stir. (If you want to tint the balls pink or orange or some other seasonal color, now is the time to add a few drops of food coloring.)
  • Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat.
  • With well-buttered hands, quickly shape the popcorn into balls. This recipe makes 10 medium sized popcorn balls or 20 mini balls. Cool on waxed paper and enjoy.


An award-winning writer and frequent conference speaker, Shirley Raye Redmond is the author of three inspirational novels, PRUDENCE PURSUED, VIPER’S NEST, and AMANDA’S BEAU, as well as two dozen children’s books, including LEWIS & CLARK: A PRAIRIE DOG FOR THE PRESIDENT (Random House), which was a Children’s Book of the Month Club selection. Shirley Raye holds an M.A. in literature and teaches through the Institute of Children’s Literature. She has been married to her husband Bill for over forty years. They live in New Mexico and are blessed with two grown children and three adorable grandchildren. Touch bases at shirleyrayeredmond.com or Facebook.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this easy peasy popcorn balls. They'll be perfect to make with them being soft instead of hard like usual popcorn balls.

    Amanda’s Beau sounds intriguing with a spelling bee and popcorn balls served. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might enjoy both--the popcorn balls and the novel. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I remember my mom making lots of popcorn balls during the fall and winter months and yes, they took time and as delicious as they were, they.were.also. very.hard!
    Your book sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was one of my favorite novels to write.

      Delete
  3. I've never dared make them because I figured I'd mess it up. This sounds easy! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pat hwork quilt background but don't know if I can break from my boiled syrup popcorn balls! Great idea, esp the added color!

    ReplyDelete