Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Give It a Country Flair With a Twine Banner

Good morning, friends! 
Waterin' Hole Banner
Today I thought I'd share a little craft I did for my sister's graduation party. She wanted a country theme, so I had to find ways to give the party a country or western flair. It took me a while to come up with an idea that would work, but I was happy with the result, and it was super easy, so I thought I'd share. :)

I started with brown packaging paper that I had left from Christmas. (Brown paper packages tied up with strings, right?) I made that the backdrop for the banner. Cut it out at the size you want your finished banner to be.

Then I took some black card stock that I found at Walmart and cut out bold letters. I did the first letter as a stand-alone, and then the rest of the word in a cursive-type style so that the twine would continue without being cut after every letter.

Once that was done, I took twine that I also purchased from Walmart for a dollar or two and used it to make a cursive-type lettering over the bold, black shadow. To do this, take a hot glue gun and 'write' along the center of the black cut out letters, then press the twine to the glue trail. You'll have to do this a little bit at a time so the glue doesn't dry on you before you can get the writing situated.

After the letters were formed, I hot glued them to the rectangular piece of brown packaging paper that I'd cut out in the size I wanted my banner to be.

And hey, ho, howdy we have a banner that is light-weight enough to be taped to a wall, but country enough to hang in Granny Hillbilly's  kitchen.

Just for fun, here's a couple of other ideas we used.
Country Desserts
 Oreos as Tractor Ties, Rice Crispy treats as hay bales, and no-bake cookies as cow patties.

Forks and Spoons

I love themed parties. They're so much fun. Have you ever been to a themed party? I'd love to hear about it! I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. ;)

9 comments:

  1. Loved the idea :) it was such a cute party. I would like to know about that amazing backdrop y'all used for the gift area. How did you do the arch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patience! I was so glad ya'll were able to come.

      The backdrop and balloon arch were done by Andrea. She helped me out SOOO much.
      She fashioned a stand for the pillar part, then added a steel rod to make the arch. Then she just fastened the balloons to the wire. The backdrop came from Amazon, I believe.

      Delete
  2. A cute idea. I attended a wedding reception that had the country/western theme with all the decorations. Cowboy/girl boots with dry flower arrangements, wooden tier for cupcakes, wooden signs from pallots, etc. Amber, I'm sure your sister appreciated all the time you gave to make her graduation party special just for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      Sounds like a fun wedding! We did a few of those pallet signs too.
      Aw, thanks. :) I hope it did make it special for her.

      Delete
  3. These are great ideas and I will definitely save them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete