Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Pancake Twist

Howdy y'all! Crystal Barnes here and after performing in a 1950s musical comedy this past weekend, I'm kinda stuck in '50s mode. 
Me as Bonnie Blue, owner of the Pig Pen Diner
(Photo courtesy of Director and Author Janice Thompson)
Junior and the Peppermints
(Photo courtesy of Janice Thompson)
How many of y'all remember the old Aunt Jemima pancake commercials where they gave you ideas for sprucing up your normal breakfasts? There were commercials where they poured batter over sausage, bananas, or apple rings. Remember those? (No, I didn't get to see them the first go-around, but I've seen clips while watching old Ozzie and Harriet episodes.)


Well, I ain't one for using box mixes, but I do like putting a twist on my pancakes. Now remember, folks, I don't measure when I make these things so most of these amounts are guesstimates. :) Hopefully, this'll give you an idea for a special breakfast during the holidays or all through the year.

Pear-butter Pancakes


  • 1 scoop of flour (~3/4 cup)
  • A pinch of baking powder (~1/2 teaspoon)
  • A pinch or two of sugar (~ 1 teaspoon)
  • Dash of salt
  • Stir together. "Waller" out a hole in the middle. In the hole, add...
  • 1 egg
  • A large dollop of pear butter (apple butter or apple sauce will work too) (~ 2-3 tablespoons)
  • Buttermilk or milk
  • Blend the wet ingredients together and then stir into the dry until well blended. Add more milk if needed to obtain the desired consistency. 
  • Add pecans if desired. 

Cook 'em on a griddle, add some maple syrup, and MmmMmm, eat up, y'all!

How do you like to spruce up your pancakes?


An award-winning author, bona fide country girl, and former competitive gymnast, Crystal L Barnes is the culprit behind the Marriage & Mayhem series. Accused of being quite the character at times, Crystal has performed in several plays, loves to sing Southern Gospel, and contributes to her church's worship team on a regular basis. When she's not writing, reading, or singing, Crystal enjoys exploring on road-trips, spending time with family, and watching old movies/sitcoms. I Love Lucy is one of her favorites. You can find out more about Crystal at www.crystal-barnes.com, subscribe to her newsletter for updates, and/or connect with her at her Amazon Author page, Goodreads, Pinterest, Google+, or Facebook.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I spruce up my pancakes by creating different shapes for the grandchildren....Mickey and Minnie are favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember eating Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes! Glad to hear you're keeping that tradition alive. :-)

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of syrup. But use sugar or honey on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like warmed fruit on my pancakes. Sometimes I'll even put peanut butter---no butter though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut butter? Now that's a new one. I've seen some folks put it in their got cereal, but not on pancakes. Guess it could work though.

      Delete
  4. I usually eat my pancakes with syrup and bacon on the side but this sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean there's an option that doesn't include bacon?! Oh wait! Sausage! :-)

      Delete