(Crystal, here. Quite a departure from my normal country welcome, ain't it?)
I thought we'd have some fun seeing how green y'all are. (And I don't mean with jealousy. :) ) See how many questions you can answer in the affirmative then tell us how "green" you are.
Ready ... go!
1. Did you go to bed wearing green so you wouldn't get woken up with a pinch?
I admit I had to do this too many times growing up. :) Having green eyes wasn't enough.
2. Are you planning to eat (or have already eaten) corned beef and cabbage?
Sorry, I'm not a lover of cabbage y'all.
3. Did you know that St. Patrick wasn't even born in Ireland?
Don't feel bad if you didn't know this one. I didn't learn it 'til just the other day. He was actually born in Roman Britain. He was kidnapped and brought to Ireland as a slave at the age of 16.
4. Did you know that he escaped slavery and returned to his homeland?
It's true. After more than 6 years in slavery, he walked nearly 200 miles to the Irish coast. He escaped to Britain where he studied for more than a decade to become a priest before returning as a missionary to Ireland and its people.
5. Did you know legend has it that St. Patrick used the shamrock to teach about the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit)?
Makes sense, doesn't it? :)
6. Did you know March 17th is the day of his death (not his birth)?
Yeah, it was news to me too.
7. Do you know when and where the first St. Patrick's Day parade took place in the United States?
Yeah, I didn't either. It was on March 17, 1762 in New York City.