Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Re-cover Cushion for Bench Seat

Beautiful new cushion
Heidi here. I have a beautiful sewing machine. Over the years, I have tried and tried to sew, but I must admit, sewing is not my gift. So, when I found myself looking to re-cover a cushion for a bench, I wondered if I could do something that didn't require sewing.
Old cushion
We moved last year and the cushion on the right is now in a room decorated primarily in burgundy. Obviously, I needed to make a change!

I decided to take a thin piece of plywood and have my husband cut it down to slightly smaller than the size of the cushion. Then, I placed the cushion on top of the plywood, and wrapped the new fabric around the plywood. I then used a staple gun, 1/4 inch staples, to attach the fabric to the wood.

Hot glued the edges down tight
After all that, I knew the overlapping fabric might rub on the benchtop, so I used a hot glue gun and glued the fabric tight to the plywood.

Not only does this bench now blend in the room, but it's so pretty, don't you think?!

Let me know if this tip helped you or if you think you might do a similar project in your home ~ sound off in the comments section below!

Final cushion, with pretty pillows on top

6 comments:

  1. What a great job! I need this at my house! Thank you for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Melanie,
      You are so welcome! I paid someone to make the original cushion cover (I can NOT sew those corners properly) and I decided to try a quick and easy way this time. It was SO easy and it looks great!

      Delete
  2. Heidi, I am impressed. Great job. Great practice, too if you decide to recover your dining room chairs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, thanks! It is WAY easier than recovering DR chairs though :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your new bench cover, Heidi! You did such a great job! Thank you for sharing this DIY! (I also love that the bench is filled with books.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britney,
      Thanks for the kind words! It is actually . . . a bookcase on its side :-) But a perfect height for sitting. And it words for books whether standing tall or on the side!

      Delete