Friday, January 9, 2015

Daydreamers Unite by Guest Jennifer Slattery

There are a few setbacks to being a book addict. I lose a great deal of sleep. I’m usually pretty ignorant when it comes to public affairs. Or pop culture (except that which appears in books). I can lose huge chunks of time, have burned more dinners than I care to admit, and have even forgotten to pick our daughter up from school on more than one occasion. Okay, so frequently, though that happens most when I’m the one writing the story.

Are you old enough to remember Beaver from the Leave it to Beaver show? Not a program could play without that poor child getting lost in some type of inner story. And they called it daydreaming. Ha! We writers no better, don’t we?

Don’t you wish all of our elementary teachers knew that as well? Oh, the trauma we could have avoided! But I suppose there is some benefit to frequent detentions in that they gave us all the more time to slip into worlds of our own creation. Come to think of it, those punishments had to work against our teachers’ goals.

Hm…

When I was young, I’d throw a colossal fit for my turn of the television remote. I’m pretty sure I do for the pure power of the thing, because everyone knew I didn’t watch what played on the screen. At least, not for long. The stories swirling through my head were always much more fascinating, the actors and actresses more talented, and my brain had zero commercials.

I know I’m not alone. If you’re reading this post, chances are you’re either a writer or a veracious reader. Most likely both, which means, you’ve lost touch with reality on numerous occasions. You rather enjoy doing so, actually. In fact, you’ve slipped in and out four times while reading this post.

Yes, I know what that means in terms of the grabability of my writing. Sigh.

But today’s just for fun. Actually, it’s an informal survey of sorts, which I’ll include at the end. Pop back by to see how your brain’s stick-to-itness measures up to everyone else’s. :) But before you do, I’ll end with this: Yes, you’re a dreamer, but I’d venture a guess God made you that you way, and for a glorious, miraculous, eternal reason, too. So forget reality, at least for a time, and dive deep into storyworld. Who knows, you just might create (or stumble upon) something amazing.

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.


Jennifer Slattery writes soul-stirring fiction for New Hope Publishers, publishing house passionate about bringing God’s healing grace and truth to the hopeless. She also writes for Crosswalk.com, Internet CafĂ© Devotions, and the group blog, Faith-filled Friends. When not writing, Jennifer loves going on mall dates with her teenage daughter and coffee dates with her handsome railroader husband.

Visit with Jennifer online at JenniferSlatteryLivesOutLoud.

When Dawn Breaks:
As the hurricane forces Jacqueline to evacuate, her need for purpose and restitution motivate her to head north to her estranged and embittered daughter and into the arms of a handsome new friend. Dealing with his own issues, Jacqueline isn’t sure if he will be the one she can lean on during the difficult days ahead. And then there are the three orphans to consider, especially Gavin. Must she relinquish her chance at having love again in order to be restored?

Read a free, 36-page excerpt here.
You can buy a copy here.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, yep I did slip in & out while reading this. and I do remember Beaver, have a few episodes on the DVR in case I feel like smiling :) Thanks, I enjoyed meeting you today!

    ReplyDelete