Monday, April 7, 2014

Pack-rats Anonymous



It’s interesting how our parents’ experiences shape our lives. My dad was a young adult when the Great Depression hit. I’ll never know all the ways that experience affected him, but it did give him the tendency to save things. He wasn’t a hoarder—I don’t think… But when my sister and I cleaned out his house after his death, we found stacks and stacks of…things. Empty margarine tubs, electric cords that had been cut off appliances, way out-of-date canned goods.

I came into married life as a pack rat—inherited, I suppose, from my dad. To compound things, Bill has pack-rat leanings as well. About ten years ago, we decided to fight those propensities tooth and nail. We’ve done pretty well, I think, but I still have too many clothes. I’m always hoping my favorites will come back in style or that I’ll lose weight and fit into those cute jeans again.

Recently, though, God’s been reinforcing the “give and it shall be given to you” truth. When we hang on to things we don’t need, it’s either greed or fear driving that act. For my dad, I’m sure it was fear. For me? Umm…not so sure.

What do you think? Keep or give/throw away?













Lora Young

7 comments:

  1. I love this post as I struggle with the same tendencies. lol. I hope to go through my winter clothes before I put them away and get rid of anything I didn't wear this year. Easier said than done. If you get rid of the sweater, send it down here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem, Patricia. I love that sweater, but it's covered with pills and isn't exactly stylish anymore. =op

      Delete
  2. I'm the wrong person to ask about your sweater--LOL! I like it and would probably hang on to it. I have worked for quite some time to get rid of as much as possible--after years of buying and collecting. The end of December I took a van load and a pick-up load to the auction house. That was a huge relief! It's nice to have emptied out cabinets and shelves of things I no longer want to collect. Right now I'm working on going through a huge medicine cabinet. Everyday I look in there and find 3-5 things to throw away. I broke it down this way so I don't have to go in there and clean out the whole thing at once. (In case you are wondering why that might be a problem for me--it was my husband's, who is now at home in heaven. It's a little hard to deal with).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be difficult, Kay. My husband and I had to clean out my in-laws' home after Dad died and Mom went to live with a daughter. We gave away a semi-tractor trailer load to a local mission, filled a 40-foot dumpster and still brought home a van and trailer load. And we only had four days to accomplish that. It was a heart-wrenching experience.

      Delete
  3. My Dad lived through the Depression, too. He's the reason I cannot throw a coffee can! This fall, I made a pact with myself not to buy any new sweaters. When I was forced to wear the ones I had in the closet, it helped me to see which ones I really wore, and which ones I was just holding on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard you should get rid of anything you haven't worn in the past year, but I keep hoping I'll one day be thin enough to look good in that cute dress.

      Delete
  4. Disclosure from this "Anonymous" commenter; I am Lora's husband. Part of what comes into play for us as well is where we live. At the very core of rural or semi-rural life is avoiding yet another "trip into town." Having to stop a project and run to the hardware store for a 15 cent part is anathema! Like many folk who live as we do, I have "saved the day" many times drawing from a treasure trove of "stuff" from my fathers and grandfathers. Much *has* been thrown away or used, but I'm certain my children will still have the opportunity to sort through the stacks, albeit shorter, after my departure. As to that sweater, I have many fond memories of you wearing it. Having said that, I'll hold those memories close, letting you give the sweater away if that's what you want. Besides, my wife, you look good in just about anything.

    ReplyDelete