Monday, April 14, 2014

Don't Watch the Waves! A Devotional by Norma Gail

Don’t Watch the Waves



Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Matthew 14:29-30

Waves, crashing and rolling around him, Peter climbed out of the pitching and yawing boat and set off across the waves toward Jesus. The disciples weren’t timid men. Most were fishermen, hardened to the toil of fishing boats, and the rough, unpredictable waters of the Sea of Galilee. Storms were nothing new, but the ferocity of the crashing thunder, forked lightning, and tumultuous waves frightened them.

As I navigated the waters of infertility, illness, my dad’s sudden death, and my husband losing his job, God proved Himself unfailing in His faithfulness. However, when the outcome is uncertain, my mind strays to all the things that can go wrong and fear begins to dominate my thoughts. I know in my heart that God is in control, but I lose my nerve.

Positive critiques at my first Writer’s Conference encouraged me and I tried again. The smooth sailing of a contract turned to whitecaps of fear, threatening to drag me under. It might not be as good as other books, and the safe harbor of my library at home turned to the choppy waters of doubt, threatening to drag me under. 

Peter stepped out of the boat, striding confidently across the thrashing sea when his eyes on were fixed on Jesus’ face. But the sight of the churning water beneath his feet caused him to grow fearful and begin to sink.

We have a great and powerful God, who promises to never let go. In J.B. Phillips’ translation of the New Testament, he calls God “the blessed controller of all things, the king over all kings and the master of all masters, the only source of immortality, the one who lives in unapproachable light, the one whom no mortal eye has ever seen or ever can see. To him be acknowledged all honor and power for ever, amen!”

Don’t let the waves and storms of life overwhelm you. Remember who it is who has saved you. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, and He will never let you sink.

Norma's debut contemporary Christian romance, Land of My Dreams is available for -on Amazon.com. Scotland, two broken hearts, and a mighty God. www.normagail.com. 


© Copyright by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman, March 2014
www.normagail.com

4 comments:

  1. What great encouragement for a Monday morning! It's easy to take our eyes off Jesus and fix them on our surroundings. I love his translation, "The blessed controller of all things…" If we only realized He was really in control, we would relax and allow Him to control our lives. Thank you for your words today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed this morning. Keep my eyes on Jesus...not the waves. I love the Phillips translation of the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so easy to get caught up in the storms of life! Thank you for these wonderful words of encouragement!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The storms of life ebb and flow. God is our lighthouse. Thank you for this lovely post.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete